The Mariners' Yacht Club
The Syria Shriners Mariners’ Yacht Club
The purpose of the group is to raise money for the Shriners Hospitals for Children and to provide fun and fellowship for the Nobles and Illustrious Sirs of Syria Shrine and their ladies. Our particular area of interest is related to boating, sailing, and cruising. Most of our members have owned, currently own, or hope to own a vessel at some point in our lives.
The group began in the 1960’s and has continued to this day without interruption. At one point, members would get together on weekends to take excursions on their boats and share fellowship and picnics. More recently we have featured a cruise on a houseboat to which the Potentate and his Divan are invited. Last summer we took a dinner cruise on the Gateway Clipper.
The group has varied its activities depending on the desire of the current Commodore. In recent years we met monthly for meals and fellowship. The secretary sends out announcements of upcoming events to our members and to the Voice of Syria.
Yearly events have included:
- January-the Mariners hold a Change of Watch Ceremony for the purpose of installing the newly elected officers. The Divan often attends.
- June-the Mariners conduct a raffle at the Syria Sports Bash. The prize is usually boating related. This year we are offering a kayak.
- July-the Mariners host the Divan for a cruise on the Allegheny River and a shared meal before and after the cruise.
- August-the Mariners host a “First Mates” picnic to honor the ladies of our club. The men prepare the meal and serve the ladies.
- December-the club hosts an annual Holiday party at a location chosen by the Commodore or the club members.
Many members participate in the cruises which are usually offered annually by the Potentate.
The officers of the club are the Commodore, the First Vice-Commodore, Secretary, Treasurer
The Annual Dues per Noble are $15.
Although we are a smaller group among the Shrine organizations we offer good fellowship. We welcome all who are interested to participate. You do not need to be married to join the club.
To join the Mariners, please contact David Eichelberger, information below:
Commodore - Jim Elmer Sr.
First Vice - Commodore - Larry Burton, PP
Secretary - David Eichelberger m. 630-661-3452 davideosl(at)yahoo.com
Treasurer - David Gardy, PP